Note: In Mid 2013 the owner of Sampson Cay closed the island to the public and it is now a Private Island
Explorer Chart: EX-18, 18A
- There is a private airstrip on N Sampson Cay.
- Air service is available at nearby Staniel Cay with launch service to Sampson Cay.
- There is a large anchorage with good depths and good holding available to the W of the marina with good protection except from the W.
- Sampson Cay is a small private cay N of Staniel Cay. The major attraction for cruisers is the great marina / resort on S Sampson Cay.
- Bahamas Area Websites. Sites that can be searched for tourist and business information throughout the Bahamas.
- Sampson Cay Club. The marina website provides a good overview of the area.
- Exumas Visitors Guide. An free guide booklet available at many local businesses. It provides a good directory of services and attractions throughout the Exumas.
- Report whale sightings to BMMRO! Bahamas Marine Mammal Research Organization; 242-366-4155; 242-357-6666; firstname.lastname@example.org.
- See: Environment & Ecology for Cruisers
- Internet services is available from Exuma WiFi, the same provider that serves Staniel Cay. Feb 11: $10 / day and or 200 MB.
- The Explorer chart for the approach to the cay from the Banks is a bit off-putting as it shows some areas of thin water. However, in practice SV Onward (draft 6.2') has not encountered any shallows when following a course tracking the deeper water on the chart. [Note: This data is provided for information only. Navigation decisions are the responsibility of each captain and should be based on appropriate navigation charts for the area supplemented by local knowledge.]
- Highborne Cay Marina broadcasts weather daily at 0730 on VHF Ch 06.
- Marine Weather Center; Daily SSB, webcast, & email forecasts by Chris Parker. Note: Best reception in this area is usually on 4045 KHz USB Simplex at 0630 AST.
- Bahamas Met Office website provides weather forecast for local areas throughout the Bahamas.
- "Blue Yonder" (C6AGJ) based on MV Emerald at Staniel Cay broadcasts a weather summery from multiple sources at 0800 on VHF Ch-12. The service is provided during the period of late November to May.
Updated: 1 Nov 13