- Explorer Chartbooks. Monty & Sara Lewis / Lewis Offshore LTD. publish the chartbooks that are the “gold standard” for paper charts of the Bahamas. There are 3 chartbooks: Near Bahamas, Far Bahamas, and Exumas and Ragged Islandes. email
- Bluewater Books & Charts; 954-763-6533, 800-942-2583 (US); 1811 Cordova Road, Ft. Lauderdale FL. A premier source for charts and nautical books and equipment.
Cruising in the Bahamas
- Cruiser Comment:
- Best cruising guide book for the Abacos. Great photos and reference charts of all the important areas. Don’t leave home without it.
- The Cruising Guide to Abaco Bahamas, 2013, Steve Dodge, White Sound Press, 379 Wild Orange Drive, New Smyrna Beach, FL 32168; 386-423-7880; email@example.com
- Bahamas Environmental Handbook, 2002, Bahamas Environment Science and Technology Commission; ISBN: 976-8170-41-7; BEST Commission, Ministry of Agriculture and Fisheries, P.O. Box CB 10980, Nassau, Bahamas.
- Bahamian Landscapes, Neil E. Sealey, 3rd Edition 2006 , Macmillian Education. Any observant cruiser is aware that the geology of the Bahamas is unlike anything they read about in Geology 101. Sealy does a superb joy of explaining this unique region.
- Abaco, Steve Dodge, 3rd Editin, 2005, White Sound Press, “A history of an Out Island and its Cays.”
- A History of the Bahamas, Michael Craton, 3rd Edition, 1986, San Salvador Press.
- University of Florida Digital Library of the Caribbean; digital archive of local newspapers.
- The Republic of Pirates, Colin Woodard, Harcourt, 2007. A very engaging history of the “Golden Age of Piracy” ~ 1700 - 1732, in which the Bahamas had a central role as the ultimate pirate lair.
- Costal and Offshore Weather, the Essential Handbook, Chris Parker, 4th Edition, 2007, The Marine Weather Center. Chris does a superb job of describing the principal factors that drive weather patterns in the Bahamas. He also provides an excellent review of weather communication technology and services.
Updated:10 Jan 13